Friday, February 16, 2018

Lew on Patch Management Mitigation Plans


Five days ago, I wrote a post calling attention to Lew Folkerth’s December article on CIP-010 R1 (configuration management) compliance. In that post, I mentioned that you can now sign up to receive notices of new RF newsletters (where Lew’s column appears). I signed up and I’m glad I did, because yesterday I got notice of a new newsletter. This time, Lew’s article (which as usual goes under the name “The Lighthouse”) is about CIP-007 R2 patch management mitigation plans. Lew’s articles are always excellent, but this is still one of his best yet, in my opinion.

I must admit I hadn’t thought very much about patch management mitigation plans. R2.3 says “Mitigation plans shall include the Responsible Entity’s planned actions to mitigate the vulnerabilities addressed by each security patch and a timeframe to complete these mitigations.” I had always just assumed this was all you need to know about these plans.

It turns out I was wrong. Lew does an excellent job of pulling out what really needs to be in a mitigation plan and how it needs to be handled. None of this is in any way an add-on to the requirement, by the way. Lew is simply following the logical implications of what the mitigation plan needs to accomplish, both for security and compliance. Lew has always been most concerned about what makes the most sense from a security point of view. I won’t say everything he says in this article is needed strictly for compliance with the requirement, but doing it will certainly allow you to tell a good story when you get audited.


If you would like to comment on what you have read here, I would love to hear from you. Please email me at tom@tomalrich.com. Please keep in mind that Tom Alrich LLC can help you with NERC CIP issues or challenges like what is discussed in this post. To discuss this, you can email me at the same address or call me at 312-515-8996.




No comments:

Post a Comment